February 19, 2014 by Devin
The first ever Guardians of the Galaxy trailer released tonight, and man, was it something. Check it out below and see my thoughts after.
- That opening bit was a nice piece of meta-humor. Guardians of the Galaxy is definitely one of the more unpopular, if not the most unpopular, comic book series to get made into a movie, and it was amusing to see how they basically made a comment on that obscurity.
- The trailer spends a lot of time on telling who the characters are, which is probably in the movie’s benefit considering how so many people do not know who the heck these characters are.
- They are really selling Chris Pratt, and understandably so. I think Marvel understands that the main reason why movies like Iron Man worked was because of their likeable main characters, and Guardians of the Galaxy will be no different. Comic book fans will watch this for Rocket Raccoon. Everyone else will watch it for that guy from Parks and Recreation.
- Speaking of Rocket Raccoon, I was kind of disappointed to not hear his voice at all, but considering how the trailers for The Avengers spoiled several big Hulk moments, I appreciate knowing that Marvel is at least holding something back.
- What this trailer isn’t selling, surprisingly, is the MCU. The only hints that this is part of the same universe as Iron Man or Captain America are the shot of the Collector and the Marvel logo. Let’s see if that pays off for them.
- What is incredibly exciting about this movie is just how different it is, and this trailer really nails that. This is a Marvel movie, yes, but it doesn’t look or feel like any other Marvel movie. In fact, it doesn’t look or feel like any movie released in a long time.
So those were my thoughts. Let me know what you thought in the comments below!