October 29, 2013 by Devin
For those who were not aware, there is another X-Men movie coming out that is working both as a sequel to First Class and the original X-Men movies (time travel is involved; things get complicated). The trailer just hit, and you should check it out:
Now, I won’t go into full analysis here, but here are some thoughts:
- 10 years ago, a movie like this would not be possible. Not because of special effects, but because it is so comic book-y. I am loving this era of comic book movies.
- I really don’t think there needs to be another movie with Wolverine at the center, but despite that, I am looking forward to Hugh Jackman working with Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy.
- I like that Professor X still has some growing to do. It seemed like at the end of First Class, he could have basically been the benevolent professor that he grows up to be, but it is nice that the movie is showing that journey was not as easy as it would seem.
- Peter Dinklage? Peter Dinklage!
- Man, that is a lot of characters. It seems like every X-Men movie just gets rid of all the previous X-Men and adds in new ones that are less and less popular.
- So we’re just going to ignore X3 where Professor X died? Good.
I really have no idea whether or not this movie will be good. I loved First Class and think Brian Singer did great things with the X-Men in the first two movies, but I could see this plot being a total mess of time travel and exposition. Here’s to hoping that it has character to back it up.